Friday, May 13, 2011

Food in Culture

Since I am a Russian nationally, I am going to tell you about foods in Russian culture. The biggest holiday in Russia which is includes a lot of food is the new year's. Unlike here in USA, the new year's celebration is much bigger in Russia. This holiday is like all the holidays throughout the whole year put together. When it comes to food, you won't see more food on the table on a new year's party than anywhere else. The types of food vary. There is always all kinds of different types of food. Mostly Russians focus on meat, so a lot of food has meat in it. The reason for this is probably because they are always hungry, so meat fills you up pretty nice. If I would have to pick one food that is the most important on a new year's party, I would have to say Vodka. If you were to go outside on the streets on January 1st, you would not see a single person or a car for the whole day. Everyone is drunk, passed out, sleeping home (or not home). Like in many other cultures, food and eating, unites people. 100% of time when I come to visit my grandmother, as soon as I step inside her house, she jumps up to go put some food on the table. It is Russian tradition to sit down and eat with someone, or at least drink tea. If you don't do that, it might be viewed as a sign of disrespect.

No comments:

Post a Comment